plaid

Monday, October 31, 2011

My latest project

We like to keep our house fairly cool in the winter nights in order to save money (about 60 degrees).  We just bundle up with flannel sheets, down comforters and snuggling.  Well, when we had a baby born smack in the middle of winter we didn't know what to do.  I ended up layering her in 3 sets of pajamas and tucking a blanket around her (since she was sleeping in the swing at the time).  Now she sleeps in her cribs and tosses and turns with no luck of keeping a blanket on.  All the sleep sacks I've found are single layer fleece which is nice but not enough.  Through the Large Family Logistics blog website I found a site that makes down sleep sacks!  However, they were $135 and I was sure that I could do about the same thing for much less.  I have since discovered that you cannot buy down fabric - you must buy the feathers and make it yourself.  Not knowing this at the time and wanting to be cheap anyways, I purchased pre-quilted fabric and I already had fleece to use as a liner.  It was definitely a learning process and next time I would do some things differently.  I have snaps on the side and shoulders to make it adjustable - supposedly from newborn to toddler.  It also zips on the bottom to allow for easier diaper changing or a toddler who wants to walk around.  The fabric I used it stiff and Kale'a has a hard time sitting up and turning over - which can be a good thing but not what I was hoping for.  The first night was rough on her trying to get used to it.  But now she sleeps well and is warm!  Here is my end result.

2 comments:

  1. It's cute! And now I understand what you mean. I like the colors and that it's adjustable.

    ReplyDelete