In trying to eat more protein, make baby food, and also save money, I have taken up making homemade yogurt. The initial recipe is from my sister but there are various ways to do the incubation.
1) Pour desired amount of milk into saucepan. (Amount of milk will equal final amount of yogurt.)
2) Mix in 1/4 cup of milk powder to make the yogurt thicker.
3) Heat to 185 degrees, stirring frequently.
4) Let cool to 110 degrees (put pan in a sink of cold water).
5) Add 1/2 to 1 small container of plain yogurt with live & active cultures - mix in with wire whisk.
6) Pour into jars or clean, used yogurt containers.
7) Incubate for about 7 hours. See options below.
8) Put in the fridge to cool.
Ice chest
I just tried this one this week and it worked well. Get an ice chest/cooler - I used a small one that is the size of a 6 pack. Fill it with the hottest tap water to initially warm it up. When the yogurt jars are ready, empty some of the cooler and refill with hot tap water again. Fill up to the lids of the jars. I checked on the water about 4-5 hours in and it had slightly cooled. I emptied some water and put more hot water in. It was ready after 7 hours. I loved that I didn't have to pay attention to it.
Heating Pad
Put containers onto a heating pad. Wrap it all up in a towel and turn on High. Let sit for 7 hours. My heating pad has a safety feature that makes it turn off after one hour, so this method was more inconvenient for me.
Crockpot
I read online how to do this but have not tried it. It takes quite a bit longer and more timed attention. Turn crockpot on low and put in desired amount of milk (and some milk powder if desired). Heat for 2.5 hours. Then turn crockpot off and let cool for 3 hours. After cooled, add 1/2 cup of yogurt with live active cultures and mix well. Wrap entire crockpot in a thick towel. Let it culture overnight, 8-12 hours. Then put in refrigerator to cool.
Oven
I hear there is a way to culture yogurt in the oven but have not researched it. In the summer I don't want a hot house or high gas bill.
**Add any flavorings after the yogurt has been made to avoid thin yogurt.
A dehydrator set at 110 degrees works well, too :-) Good for you for being so industrious!
ReplyDeleteThe idea of actually having time to do something like this is just a foreign concept to me right now. So kudos!
ReplyDelete