plaid

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A great book

It seems to me that I have been talking about this book a lot.  Probably because I'm currently reading and implementing it.  But also because it is so pertinent to my current season in life.  What is this amazing book, you ask?  It's Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman.  Now, I don't have a large family and probably never will.  However, the advice, experience and tips in this book are applicable for any woman who is in charge of her own house (with or without kids, single or married).  You can read this book from beginning to end or you can jump around - it's wonderful!  The first half discusses your purpose of keeping a home (not just a house!), your attitude, self-discipline, choices, balancing life and much more.  The author is a believer and has a very balanced perspective on life.  The second half is practical daily tips on cleaning, budgets, schedules, health, chores, and time management.  Her sections are short and she often uses lists (a huge plus for me!). 

One reason I particularly find this book helpful is because of my job change.  Having gotten married later (almost 34) and already in a career, I was stuck a certain mindset and habits.  I cleaned only what obviously needed cleaning, which means it wasn't often.  When I got married and worked at home, I had to block my mind toward the housekeeping otherwise I would never get my work done!  After having Kale'a, I have found it difficult to realize that THIS is my new job, not just a duty to be done on Saturday.  So this book has given me a swift kick to get on the ball!  It has so many practical points that I can implement immediately!  The only unfortunate part is that I have limited hours and limited energy.  I try to focus on one room or chore each day and that way I don't get overwhelmed trying to clean the whole house in one day.  The author breaks down her days like this:  Monday is Laundry Day, Tuesday is Kitchen Day, Wednesday is Office Day, etc.  She gives lists of ideas of what to do each day.  For example, office day is not just filing and paying bills.  It is also for emails, internet shopping, menu planning, writing letters, planning homeschool lessons, cleaning the desk, etc. 

I have not finished reading this book.  I am about halfway through each section and sometimes jump around a bit.  My sister, who has 5 children, revolutionized her house after reading this.  I know of a few others who enjoyed it also.  So, unless you have it all together (then YOU should write a book!), I highly recommend reading and implementing Large Family Logistics!

5 comments:

  1. Darn it, now the revolutionary is going to have to kick herself into gear again! Thanks a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could lend it to me? I'm currently in a paper organizing project...I am too tired to continue it tonight but I did buy some files and envelopes (because no matter what I try to talk myself into doing, I can't bear to throw away cards and letters).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stinker! Once again I discover that YOU're the one that has the thing from the library that I wanted! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura! I really love getting new ideas for keeping things as organized and productive as possible. I find different seasons in life require totally different strategies. While I am working full-time - my husband has taken on most of the organizing at home...but now we are going to switch while I am on maternity leave...I found it a real struggle as a stay-at-home mom before to know how to fill each day, keep the days moving with activities for my son, AND keep up on tasks. And somehow WITHOUT letting life feel hyper-monotonous. So we will see how this goes. I am thinking about making even more of a plan for each day. We will see. I like the idea you mention of a different task for each day. When I was at home before, I was working on learning 2 languages, so I assigned a different language to each day and only listened to podcasts, radio etc in that language that day, and also put English in the rotation to give my brain a break! :) Anyway, thanks again for the fun and always welcome ideas in this area! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. NICE! Sounds great:)! Yes, so hard transitioning from work to...the other work :) I still feel like I am trying to remind myself constantly that what I do is real work work... :)

    ReplyDelete