After a great 4-ish days with my old friends, we moved on to our final leg of our journey. We headed to house #6 where our friends live in Leadville, CO. It is a small mining town (again, Gold Rush days) that is 10,000 ft high. We went and fed various types and sizes of trout at a nearby hatchery. The kids got a big thrill out of seeing them jump out of the water! Our friends have a daughter a year younger than K and once again, girly-ness prevailed throughout the house. It was a bit chilly there but the guest bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in!
 |
| Brief stop outside of Vail |
We left early for Ouray where we stayed at "house" #7 (actually an Airstream trailer). It was a bonus that the couple we visited had their 2 daughters and their families staying there too! One has a son 2 weeks younger than Titus and the other has a one-month old son. We swam in the local hot springs. It rained when we first got there (it is outside) but cleared up nicely. There are several pools with varying temps so I (and the baby) and the kids didn't boil. I did go down the waterslide despite the warning sign for pregnant ladies. :) We went out to eat at a great Mexican restaurant then hung out with our friends in the evening.
 |
| Linda holding baby Elliot |
Finally, we made the long stretch back to Flagstaff. We took the "Million Dollar Highway" which has steep drop offs with no guardrails. Caleb said I needed to be brave for Kale'a so I just looked at her or Caleb the whole time. :) Actually, it seemed that going the other direction would have been worse. It was beautiful mountainous country we passed through. It was a little sad as we passed over the other side of the Rockies and things got drier, sparser and more rocky soil. We stopped in Durango for lunch at a park which was a nice town I wouldn't mind living in.
 |
| Looking down at Ouray |
 |
| I don't want to know how Caleb got this photo since we stopped at a steep hillside |
 |
| Postcard perfect |
What are some in-car highlights? For Mama and Daddy, the kids actually napped pretty well during the whole trip! Titus was not a huge fan of staying in the car. Kale'a loved the snacks (she now associates driving with crackers,etc). She also liked the music -
Psalty and
Slugs & Bugs. Our favorite S&B songs are the Mexican Rhapsody (all mexican food) and the Ninja song. Although the "I want to ride..." song is catchy. Overall, we had a great trip visiting lots of friends and places. We were sad to have to come home and back to real life! But it is good to get back to your own bed and kitchen. I'm so glad I live near my family and lots of friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment