plaid

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Camping and cousins

Last week we took a short family vacation and went camping in Oak Creek Canyon (between Flagstaff and Sedona).  We left in the middle of the week because we wanted to camp in a campground that is nearly always full.  We found a lovely spot with lots of grass amongst the trees not far from the creek.  It is usually hot in the summer but the monsoon rains are not over so we got lots of rain each day and turned out to be quite cool temps.  I have decided that I am not a fan of camping in the cold with small children.  But we did have fun!  It wasn't as hard to camp with a 2 month and 19 month old kids as I had thought.  It just meant we couldn't do much due to nursing, naps and rain.  We were excited that they had lifted the fire restrictions - it was the first time in several years we were allowed to have a campfire due to all the rains.  I must admit that I am a big fan of using a tent trailer with a family - especially when it rains!  When we first got married I was skeptical because we grew up tent camping and viewed trailers as sissies.  My mind definitely changed after having Kale'a last year!  Caleb's parents were very generous to give us their old tent trailer, which happens to be as old as Caleb is.  :) 

Our lovely campsite.  See Titus enjoying the bouncy seat in the distance.
On a short bike ride.

Piggyback rides - Kale'a's latest favorite
Kale'a's bed in our tent trailer. 
Titus' bed was creatively designed with a baby gate sectioning off a cushion area.
Kale'a's first smore, which she refused to try because it was "new."
 

My favorites :)
We came back a day early and were just lazy around the house, picnicking in the backyard. 
 Aimee wanted me to watch her FIVE kids on Monday so she could go get a filling.  Sometimes this babysitting is daunting (total 7 kids, ages 2m to 10years) especially if the kids are in bad moods.  But this time it was such a blessing.  I was able to clean the kitchen and they managed to keep Titus entertained and happy for 2 hours!  Kale'a learned a few new things this time around from Elijah I'm sure - the main one being imagination.  Kale'a is self-entertaining and imaginative with her toys but this was the first time she pretended with nothing.  In other words, she was sharing non-existent food with me.
Yes, Kale'a is still in her pjs  :)

Best buds


1 comment:

  1. Nothing like camping in the rain! :-P We have done our share of digging trenches around our tents. Glad you had fun though!

    ReplyDelete