plaid

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dumping Grounds

This post will talk about dumping info (books), dumping waste (potty training) and dumping fat (weight loss).
BOOKS:
      As I mentioned before, both kids were enrolled in the summer reading program at the library.  When they finish they are allowed to choose a book to keep.  This year, we chose "Skippyjon Jones" by Judy Schachner.  I have not read the other books in the series but this one is a blast!  It is about a imaginative young boy cat (Skippyjon) who is sent to his room to ponder what it means to be a Siamese cat.  Instead, he daydreams that he is a chihuahua, El Skippito Friskito the great swordsman, who is set to fight the villian Afredo Bumblebeeto.  I highly recommend reading this book even for adults.  It fosters imagination, heroism and just plain fun!


     Another book, for adults, is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth.  I am not a fan of the Baby Wise method.  Before I state why, I fully disclose that I know of several godly parents who follow this BW method and I have not done indepth research, just basic.  But it seems to me that this BW method is just for the parents, not the child (meaning a newborn/infant).  From birth to 6 weeks, the baby (and mom) are adjusting to new hormones.  The baby is also establishing fat and other critical growth factors.  To hinder this by denying food or sleep is just unnatural and seems mean.  This Healthy Sleep Habits book states that babies are still on their mother's hormone melatonin for the first week then it disappears, thus creating the "colicky" days.  At 6 weeks, the melatonin is regenerated in the baby and he begins to sleep better, especially at night.  By 3-4 months the melatonin is well established and the baby has created a nap/sleep pattern.  He also has enough fat supplement that he can be trained to sleep through the whole night.  So whereas the BW method trains sleep at a much earlier age, I find that both of my babies establish their sleep patterns naturally at about the times this author purports.  That is just a smidgen of what this book discusses and I recommend reading it even if your child is not a baby (covers all ages).
Our Kale-ito bambino
 


POTTY TRAINING:
Kale'a has decided it is time to start potty training.  A few weeks ago she mentioned she wanted to go potty, I put her on, and she promptly went!  She has gone numerous times since then but still has a long way to go.  I have not been very diligent with helping her as it is difficult with a newborn.  She has been assisted by the dvd Elmo's Potty Time and book "Where's the Poop?" given by her friend Rory.

WEIGHT LOSS:
I love this time of year - I feel like I can conquer the world- yes, I am talking about the Olympics!  I guess the games do for me what superheroes do for boys.  The athletes make me think that with determination and discipline I can achieve anything athletic.  I have lost most of my baby weight from Titus (only 8 pounds left to go) and am antsy to get my 6 week approval to start cardio again!  This is huge since after Kale'a it was 5 months before I started exercising due to my bad tearing.  I have set several gradual weight loss goals (pre-Titus, pre-Kale'a and my Weight Watchers goal weight).  My reward system was the brain child of my sister.  I will have a jar into which X amount of money is put in if I exercise X amount of times per week.  Then once my goal weight is obtained I can use the money as I wish (in my case, new/nice pajamas).  Years ago, I lost about 40 pounds through Weight Watchers and have found this to be a good system for me.  It's not about what you can/can't eat but about moderation and balance.  I have started watching what I eat already and have lost several pounds just by choosing healthy snacks instead of crackers, etc.  I greatly look forward to fitting back into my clothes and getting fit!
Our chunky monkey, I'm sure over 11 lb now!
Kale'a loves to "play" and Titus loves tummy time, often falling asleep.

Smirk - haha, Mama, my diaper exploded twice today!
With Auntie Katie

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I can just hear your optimism and hopefulness in this post--I think summer in Flagstaff helps with motivation, too! I hope you are successful in your weight loss...I need to get on that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know what face to make when posing for a picture with a baby. I love Titus's "smirk." So funny!

    ReplyDelete