plaid

Thursday, February 9, 2012

How to clean vomit out of carpet

In case there are any of you new moms, like me yesterday, who are at a loss in this situation!  I got this from this website http://www.howtocleanthings.com/how-to-clean-vomit.htm.  I can testify that this works very well!

1)      Big Chunks.  If the vomit is still wet, I generally start with some paper towels and very gently, so as not to rub it into the carpet further, scoop the chunks out and drop them in the garbage.
2)      Dab with damp towel.  Get a spray bottle, fill it with cold water (or, better yet, club soda), and spritz down the vomit goo. Now, take a white towel and start blotting and dabbing the puke. Spray with water and dab with the towel repeatedly until the puke is up. Make sure to use a clean section of towel each time.
3)      Your very own vomit cleaner. Grab a mixing bowl, pour
·                        2 cups of warm (not hot) water in it, and stir in
·                       1 tbsp of table salt. Once the salt is dissolved, mix in
·                        ½ cup of white vinegar,
·                      1 tbsp clear dish or laundry detergent, and
·                      2 tbsp rubbing alcohol.
This isn't an exact science, so just estimate. Now grab a clean kitchen sponge, dip it in your vomit cleaner, and press it into the vomit. Do this several times so there is cleaner all over the stain. Grab a new old towel and blot just like before.
4)      Rinse.  Grab a glass measuring cup, fill it with warm water, and flood the area of the stain with it. Using yet more clean/dry towels, blot up the water. It works best to set the towel down and walk around on it. Rinsing is important because you want to make sure to get the detergent out of the carpet. Detergent has a tendency to attract dirt.
5)      Odor control.  Grab a box of baking soda and start sprinkling. Don't be shy about it either. Dump a bunch of the stuff on there. Once it's down, work it into the carpet with your fingertips. The carpet will probably be a bit damp still, and the baking soda will get clumpy. That's OK. Let it sit on the carpet until it is completely dry. This will take several hours, possibly even overnight. Once completely dry, vacuum it up.


5 comments:

  1. GRRRROSSSSSS. My mom used a store-bought cleaning solution on our puke messes that whenever I smell it I STILL think of being sick. I think I will just have children who don't barf. This is my new goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done! Did you copy this word for word, or is the creativity all yours? Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you do, make sure they don't puke in the sink. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting them puke in the sink is bad?!? Oops, I just did that a few weeks ago!!

      Delete
    2. I assume this might have the same effect of putting a spoon under the faucet with too high pressure?

      Delete