plaid

Friday, September 6, 2013

Life

For a while now I've been meaning to apologize (sort of) to mothers out there for my blog posts about 2 years ago.  Perhaps you recall or perhaps you blocked it out, but I wrote several posts on cleaning the house and making a schedule.  I thought it was so practical and easy to maintain.  Well, all that knowledge is out the window for the time being.  I DID fully realize at the time that my ONE child was an easy child.  She sleeps 12 hours at night plus a nap.  She mostly obeys.  She knows and follows her boundaries since she is also a cautious one.  I DID realize I had it good and I DID realize that life would change with 2 kids.  But I didn't realize how much!

With 2 kids, it was sketchy if I could ever get a nap.  When I was nursing Titus I couldn't discipline Kale'a.  I couldn't (and really still can't) leave the two alone together.  K wants to do everything I do and T wants to explore everything, pull everything out of drawers, etc.  Also, it wasn't until after T was about 7 months old that I realized I still had post-partum depression.  I just felt overwhelmed all the time.  I was able to help this with St. John's Wort at the time but have been off it since being pregnant.  Things have stabilized a bit and some days I can actually get something done.  Like the day I made beanbags.  Or the day I cleaned the bathroom well.  Or the day I made a loaf of bread.

 I DO realize that life with 3 kids soon will be even MORE crazy.  I know even that will be "easy" compared with those who, say, have 5 kids!  In December, for about 3 weeks (until K's birthday), I will have 3 kids ages 2 and under.  Have you ever seen that breakdown of a mother's jobs and how much she ought to get paid for all she does?  All of it is true but I feel in this stage my main jobs are chef and referee.  Many some days I just don't want to get out of bed.  Will I ever get a full night's sleep again?  Will I ever not be tired?  Will I ever be cheerful again?  Sure, both kids usually sleep through now but my achy hips don't.  And before I know it, #3 will be here!  I fully expect my blog posts will be fewer and fewer.

I have started reading "Desperate: Hope for the mom who needs to breathe."  No joking, some days I do find it hard to breathe, let alone trying to use my squishy brain for something like menu planning or Bible study.  Really, the book is nothing profound that I haven't heard.  But it is so nice to read of others in the same station in life, their struggles and tears, and how they got through it!  Sure, I have lots of friends who have done it but there is something about reading it in print, published and famous, that makes it more comforting and a bit more authoritative.  I am only on chapter 2 but through her real life experiences and honest feelings, she drives home the point that the only stable thing in this season of life (in all of life) is Jesus Christ and we need to rest our weary bones on him.  I'm not fully sure how to do that daily but I do know that He is there for me even if I don't feel it.

Well, T is awake from his nap and now I must go.  I hope that if you are "desperate" in this season of your life, you can rest in our Good Shepherd who leads us by streams of water and green pastures.  The God who will not give his children a rock or snake but bread and MANY blessings!

7 comments:

  1. Realize the there will again be a season of cleaning and being organized (now isn't that season). And then it will probably go away again when other things come up. Life just goes in cycles, usually longer cycles than we like. My 2 main survival (and I mean survival- sometimes I wonder if I will survive it) tips for depression: keep talking to God, keep talking to hubby. God can take whatever you throw at him; hubby will listen and pray (so long as he knows you don't need him to "fix" the problem). I'll be praying for you, sis. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and maybe I'll hire Peter some more, too :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honesty Laura! I am struggling through this season of life as well, and your words were encouraging to me today. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always good to hear of people who DON'T have it all together and you're not alone! :)

      Delete
  3. Amen, hallelujah! Preach on. Oh my goodness yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do often think of you in the same stage :) You are welcome to borrow the book when I'm done!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read it...Sounds like I should! :)

    I had very low iron in Ruby's pregnancy...it was a huge contributor to some depression issues. I didn't even realize how bad it was until it was over - I just blamed it on pregnancy and stress.

    Ruby's almost five months... and it is like I'm breathing again! But I can only get one room clean at a time... ;)

    ReplyDelete