Two tips this book has that have been invaluable!
1) If your house is cool (like mine always is), a great way to help the dough rise is to put the bowl of dough in the middle shelf of the oven. Then place a 9x13 pan of very hot water on the shelf underneath. This keeps the environment warm and moist, making for superb rising!
2) Keep that same pan of water during baking. Again, the humidity helps with the cooking. The bread stays moist and it keeps the top of the bread from browning too quickly.
So, about that whole wheat bread. I randomly ran across a blog for "soaked whole wheat bread" on The Elliott Homestead blog. The idea made sense to me (whole wheat is "thirsty" and needs time to soak) so I gave it a whirl. You make part of the dough the day/night before and mix/cook it the next day. The first recipe I tried is here. I loved that it made 3 loaves! But in saying that, it was so much dough it took a lot of muscle to knead it and I wasn't sure it was worth it. The lady had an updated recipe that I tried. The recipe is here. I have made this several times and like it much better (makes 2 loaves). I did use the above mentioned tips with both recipes and the bread turns out great. It is dense enough for sandwiches (doesn't fall apart) but not so dense it sticks to your mouth. :)
Needless to say, I am becoming addicted to homemade bread. It is heartier and healthier (not that I'm a health freak). It makes the house smell great, teaches the kids how to bake, and makes for a happy husband!
What is your favorite bread recipe? Any helpful tips?
| Their kitchen toy box :) |
Hi Laura! I was just thinking last night as I was trying to fall asleep that I wanted to try to make bread. So, I appreciated seeing your post today!! Like you said, I always feel too intimidated and the one time I did try it - it was WAY too dense. What was the first recipe that you tried that you said was simple and good? (white loaf)
ReplyDeleteIt's called "Boulder's Best White Bread" (made in Boulder, CO). I could lend you the book if you want. It's also got a great chocolate cake recipe.
DeleteI love King Arthur Flour's whole wheat bread recipe! It is the easiest bread I've ever made (having a stand mixer sure helps with bread!) and is quite healthy. It's also not too dense for being whole wheat, I'm intrigued by soaked wheat bread though; maybe after life calms down when this new baby's a few months old (hahaha) I'll give it a try :)
ReplyDeleteCan you send me the link? They have a lot of recipes on their website.
DeleteNOMS. I have a slice of homemade bread in my lunch today...courtesy of my mama. She uses a bread maker. Always turns out really good.
ReplyDelete