plaid

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Being a Dad is fantastic...and scary

How can you not love this little teddy bear!

Here are my thoughts on fatherhood:
  1. Its great.  I love holding Kale'a.  I love it when she smiles and when she laughs, oh and when she makes those cooing noises when she's content.  I love just looking at her.   
  2. I don't mind changing diapers, so far its not really a big deal, particularly since Kale'a has figured out that changing diapers means being more comfortable, so as soon as I put her on the changing table she quiets down and just looks at me.  
  3. All that crying is rough some times, especially if I can't figure out what's wrong, but one smile makes up for it all.  I'm getting pretty good at quieting her down, except when she wants to eat and them I pretty useless.  
  4. I like taking Kale'a for runs and walks.  I am looking forward to when she is old enough to ride in a backpack and I can take her hiking. 
  5. Being a dad is overwhelming since I really don't have any idea what I'm doing.  Except for the examples of other good fathers I see around me and my own heavenly Father.  Here are some of the things that are intimidating: 
    1. Kale'a needs a lot of attention. I'm selfish.  I know that I will either change or be a poor father.  Jesus called us to consider others better than ourselves and to put the needs of others ahead of our own.  I hope by God's grace to be able to do this.  
    2. Discipline is scary.  I am responsible for raising this child in a way that honors the Lord.  I can barely do that in my own life, how will I do this for someone so small.  I know that I will need a lot of wisdom here. 
    3. Provision.  I know this is up to God and that He will not fail, but it still feels like a lot of weight and responsibility. 
    4. Time management.  I have never been very good at using my time well.  I know that this becomes even more important with balancing time with family, work, Bible study, etc...Again this is going to require wisdom.  
Well in spite of the challenges, Kale'a is a wonderful blessing in my life.  I am looking forward to the opportunities to teach her.  I can't wait until she can run and meet me at the door when I come home from work.  I know that God is going to use her in my life to sanctify me.  I am in awe that God would give such a precious blessing and charge to me.  To all of you who read this I could use your prayers.  Thank you, Caleb


So here's to my little bundle of Joy!

And here's what Kale'a thinks of all my worries

2 comments:

  1. You're a great dad, Caleb! It's all about one day at a time. And you've got a great wifey to go on the journey with you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these thoughts from your heart.

    ReplyDelete