plaid

Friday, September 5, 2014

So proud!

A few weeks ago we started a basic pre-school curriculum for Kale'a (and Titus often participates).  So far we have covered the letters S and M.  Today's task was to draw a picture of one of the letters and practice writing the letters/numbers (1,2).  I really had no expectations and often just consider school time as good practice since I'm not even sure she's ready for pre-school.  

I told her to draw something that starts with S or M and gave her some ideas.  I started a letter and number on each line for her to trace.  Well, she wanted nothing to do with writing which I wasn't going to fight.  In box # 1 and 3 she drew circles calling them a sun.  Yay!  If you know me at all, I have been a bit concerned about her motor skills for drawing.  Up to this point she just scribbles in straight lines with the occasional circle.  No triangles, squares, smiley faces, flowers, hearts, houses, whatever. Nothing.  She is SUPER imaginative in the social aspect but not in writing.  My mom is an art teacher and assured me that some day it will just click.  Well, TODAY IT DID!  

I was busy doing another project and I noticed her making straight lines next to her circle and she proclaimed it hair on a girl!  Yay!  I went back to my project.  Next thing I know, I look over and she has finished the hair, drawn a smiley face, body, legs and was in process of drawing her laying on a bed (surrounded by a circle).  And then a blanket on top of her!  What?!  From nothing to awesome in one day?!  She then drew a face on sun in box #1, then another circle in box #2 and turned it into a full on sun.  Box #4 is a snake.

Anyways, I am so proud of my (not so) baby girl!  




2 comments:

  1. And now Kale'a is officially a better artist than any of our boys, who still all hate to draw. :-)

    ReplyDelete