plaid

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Food obsession

So I was reading one of my favorite blogs Raising Arrows and she referenced another blog.  The title was interestingly called A New Food Disorder.  I don't know that I could say I've had a food disorder, except perhaps gluttony.  But I've had several friends who studied Biblical Counseling and have delved into the depths of food disorders.  It's sadly yet another topic that isn't talked about much in the church but should be given the seriousness and widespread condition.  So the link name made me curious. 

I clicked on the link and discovered that she IS referencing a new food disorder.  Rather, the blogger is bringing to light a "new" idol of our hearts.  I will let you read it for yourself but I wanted to commend it to you.  Frankly, I’ve decided that it is more godly for me to buy disposable diapers and Spagettios than to be a cranky, yelling Mama for the sake of trying to do everything “just right.”  Really, healthy eating and living can easily turn into an idol – just like the Pharisees outward deeds. My heart is far from perfect but that is what lasts through eternity, not my kitchen.  Don't get me wrong, I still try to be healthy and environmentally aware but... I do what I can and don't beat myself up over what I can't do.  Praise God for his grace and Jesus' blood that covers my many failures!

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. I found it interesting that almost all of the comments were, "I try not to worry, too- here's how I eat super healthy". :) Most of the food coming from the vitamix? Yikes. I like to chew, personally. :) Which is what it comes down to- personal decisions for each family. I do think we all beat ourselves up too much over what we feed our families and we just need to give it much less of a priority. Which is hard since my job description is probably at least 50% dealing with food. Oh well. God gives grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found the comments ironic too. :) Anyways, I think we turned out fine growing up without a garden or cows, etc. Mom is one of my heroes regarding the fruit of the spirit!

      Delete
  2. Great article. Gives new depth of meaning to Matthew 6:25. :-)

    ReplyDelete