plaid

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Transitions

As I contemplate the semi-annual changeover of the kids clothes coming this weekend, I have been thinking of some of our current transitions in life.  There are some basic ones - changing my not quite 3 year old to 4T and my 16 month old to 2T clothes.  Also, Titus has learned this week to sleep in a toddler bed for naps - actually extremely painless and I think he is ready for nighttime as well.  Kale'a is doing mostly well in potty training, even wearing pants and no diaper during naps!  My two sponges grow daily in knowledge and ability as well.  I often hear Kale'a tell Titus an (abbreviated version) Bible lesson or song.

For myself, I am to transitioning to baby-readiness.  Last weekend was our church's women's retreat which I organized/directed.  Although I have done this for many years (may this be the last!), it is the first time that I have truly delegated well.  I had nearly 2 dozen helpers!  I was actually able to sit, listen and participate for the entire weekend!  It was a MUCH needed getaway for me!  If you recall in a previous post, I mentioned that sometimes (much more frequently lately) I feel like I am suffocating or drowning at home with the littles 24/7.  Going on errands by myself for a few hours is nice but not refreshing.  I needed adult conversation, wise ladies speaking into my life, ability to read the Bible without distraction, no chores and admittedly, a little pampering.  I would love to say I came back from the weekend a new woman but realistically it's more like now I have been given the ability to tread water for a while.  Now, I need to concentrate on loving my kiddos & husband and getting ready for the baby (a few projects to do).

Another future transition I was talking to Caleb about is finding family hobbies.  We were lamenting the fact that we just can't do some of the fun things that we used to do (at least in this stage of life) that are more individualistic.  I mentioned getting more into camping next summer.  How about you?  What are some family hobbies you have?  Long term or short term ideas are welcomed!

2 comments:

  1. Family hobbies... Uno, "Family (often movie) Night", working outside together, Sunday tea time, occasionally walking/hiking...can't think of anything else. We're pretty boring, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Great Seasonal Clothing Swap always stresses me out! As far as family hobbies, we had a weekly "Thomas Family Reading Night" growing up when we all sat in the living room and quietly read our own books. It always involved a special snack or something fun to drink. But you probably have a few years before that's practical! Currently we make it a point to celebrate many of the silly "holidays" like national taco day, ice cream day, etc.. today is actually national no-beard day, but Blake abstained ;) It's not really a hobby but it's fun and easy and builds family unity. We also watch america's funniest videos together once a week or so during dinner.

    ReplyDelete