plaid

Friday, February 20, 2015

Am I a foodie?

Well, I love food, I could never be anorexic.  But I'm not terribly picky and most definitely not a connoisseur.  But life has certainly changed in this household.  I've discovered I've taken TWO pictures of the kids in the last month!  Seems most of my time is spent in the kitchen or researching good recipes.

First, we've got Ryker's issues.  Recently, we have passed to BIG hurdles!  He has passed corn (in small amounts) and almond which opens a whole new world for us!  And a few days ago, our WHOLE family actually at the same meal together - buckwheat pancakes.  My sister introduced me to soaking grains overnight.  Turns out this really helps the digestive system break down the food a lot easier - which is a huge plus for Ryker!  It does take some forethought though.

Then, there's me.  I discovered in December that I most likely have GERD (acid reflux) and have drastically changed some of my eating habits.  I have cut out coffee (gasp!), chocolate (double gasp!), processed tomatoes, most sugars, and cut down on wheat.  I admit, sometimes I can't handle the temptation and suck up the consequences.  Like the time last week I ate a whole bag of dark chocolate blueberries.  AND I've discovered I have likely developed an ALLERGY to milk - not just lactose intolerance anymore!  Dairy makes my ears hurt and glands swell.  Yikes!

So I have had to come up with some creative recipes and meals.  Really, what can you make with no dairy and no processed tomatoes?  Very little.  At least that's what I first thought.  I am experimenting more with almond and coconut milk and no-mato sauces (more healthy but more expensive).  I have actually made some decent dishes that even the rest of the family approves of!  I will give you some links in case you are interested.

Buckwheat pancakes  here.  I substitute kefir or yogurt for the buttermilk (#1) and almond milk for buttermilk (#2)
No-Mato sauce here.  I used 1-2 beets and it was just fine - the more makes it more magenta color.  Used green olives instead of kalamata.  Although there is no REAL substitute for tomato taste, this is a good second.  This makes enough for 2 big jars.
Chicken Almond curry here.  We put this over rice.  Really, the almond slices on top MAKE the dish!
Cauliflower soup here.  Again, you can substitute the milk.
Dairy free Ranch here.  I'm sure there are more healthy recipes, but I was short on time and this had no raw eggs in it.  I was tired of eating dry burritos since I can't have salsa, plain yogurt or even ketchup.
Quinoa Meatloaf here.  I have not put the bacon/syrup on and it still tastes so good that I don't need any ketchup!  Goes well with sauteed potatoes!

I couldn't get the bright pinkness to show on the photo.  This is no-tomato, no-parmesan Chicken Parmigiana. Hahaha!

Ryker eating his first pasta!  Quinoa pasta, which has corn flour in it.

Making chicken pot pie with PURPLE potatoes that I got from Bountiful Baskets.  Makes life interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment